July 26, 2005

How Much Would It Cost To Get All These Undocumented Immigrants Out Of America?

$41.2 billion annually
Well, the Center for American Progress today released the first-ever cost assessment of a mass deportation policy for the 10 million undocumented persons currently in the country and the 500,000 that successfully cross the border each year. And guess what? It would essentially drain the Treasury. The data analysis estimates the cost to be at least $206 billion over 5 years ($41.2 billion annually), and could be as high as $230 billion. We arrived at this number even after assuming that 2 million of the 10 million would leave on their own—a pretty large assumption.
So, does immigrant hating Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) and former House Speaker Rep. Newt Gingrich have $206 billion laying around?

No, because they political party is spending federal money like a drunken sailors. No offense to drunken sailors.

Tancredo, Gingrich and the rest of there ilk can preach there rhetoric to score cheap political points while only offering ‘round them up, kick them out’ solutions which is not reasonable.
Most reasonable politicians have rejected mass deportation as costly and ineffective measure that would do little to improve our security and could devastate key sectors of our economy. This study puts the nail in the coffin for the “just deport ‘em” crowd.
It is time for effective immigration reform, not rhetoric.
Sens. John McCain and Edward Kennedy teamed up on Thursday to introduce a bipartisan immigration reform bill that would allow some of the estimated 10-12 million illegal immigrants in the United States to get legal jobs and eventual citizenship. [..]

The proposal would allow illegal immigrants to apply for temporary work permits that could last for six years. They would have to clear criminal background checks, pass an English language test and pay a $2,000 fee to qualify.

At the end of the six years, they and their families could apply for permanent resident status, and five years later for citizenship.
John McCain and Edward Kennedy immigration reform bill will be a good start. Yes, I am bias my parents were immigrants.

(Hat Tip to Think Progress )

2 Comments:

At July 26, 2005 12:58 PM, Blogger Dawson said...

My grandparents were also immigrants. So by your logic, I should support the influx of illegal immigrants based on the status of my grandparents.

I am all for legal immigration. I am anti-illegal immigration. Why should illegal aliens be allowed in when people are applying legally? That's a slap in the face to those people applying legally. Amnesty and guest worker programs are not the solution to this problem. They only bring more problems. If we allow amnesty, we send out a signal to all potential illegal immigrants that it's better to sneak in rather than go the legal route.

BTW, I really don't care about fitting into the D-Kos community or any group. I have my views and if people don't like them then that's their problem.

 
At July 26, 2005 1:23 PM, Blogger Eloy said...

Twisted logic.

I am bias, I stated that upfront to prevent any misunderstanding on my position on this issue. The reason I pointed out you are not part of the mainstream over at daily kos community, is you stated Tancredo is not part of the GOP mainstream. I did not troll rate you for your opinion, I am all for an open debate. I have my views and you have yours, there is no problem.

You are twisting my words. Just because your grandparents were immigrants should not lead you to support any position on immigration. My personal experiences lead me to support reasonable, effective solutions. I am for legal immigration and reasonable immigration solutions for undocumented immigrants. I do not think rounding them up is a reasonable solution.

Thank you for posting a comment on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home