May 10, 2005

IL-Gov: Vallas urged to run again

Dean Vallas the brother of Paul Vallas is urging his brother to challenging Gov. Rod Blagojevich in the 2006 Democratic primary for Illinois Governor.
The political comeback drive for Paul Vallas is under way. All it needs is Paul Vallas.

Dean Vallas, a driving force in his brother's 2002 Democratic primary campaign for governor, says he's conducting a one-man campaign to clear away any legal obstacles so Paul Vallas, now the head of the Philadelphia Public Schools, could have the option of challenging Gov. Rod Blagojevich in the 2006 primary.

"It's basically just me," Dean Vallas says of the effort, "but it's got to be a coup to win the war."
Paul Vallas is the head of the Philadelphia school system and said he has "no plans to return to Illinois before the expiration" of his contract
"There are a number of people who supported me in 2002, including my brother, Dean, and they are still actively supporting my returning to Illinois," Paul Vallas said. He said that, "while I am appreciative of their support, my attention is focused here. I am under contract, and it is a five-year contract."

Paul Vallas said he has "no plans to return to Illinois before the expiration" of his contract. Yet, he isn't bound to serve five years. Instead, after his third year on the job ends on June 30, he is eligible to collect a substantial amount of deferred compensation.

"Am I actively involved in this? No. Am I actively encouraging it? No," said Paul Vallas, whose contract prohibits him from taking part in partisan political activity. Still, when asked about efforts to determine if he can meet Illinois residency, he said, "I have neither encouraged them nor discouraged them."
In the 2002 Democratic primary for Governor I voted for Paul Vallas. Rod Blagojevich won the primary and I supported him during the general election. If Paul Vallas want to challenging the Governor in 2006 I would support him again. Governor Blagojevich has been a disappointment in this first term, Paul Vallas was the better choice then and now. Even if Paul Vallas does not make a political comeback to Illinois, I wish him well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home